A bit about us
Trek is an awesome place to work, with amazing benefits for all employees. We build only products we love, provide incredible hospitality to our customers, and change the world by getting more people on bikes. When you’re on our team, you’re taken care of, encouraged to learn and grow, and given lots of opportunities to do so. Give us your best, and we’ll give it right back. Sound pretty sweet? Then come join us!
Position Summary/Job Description:
Embedded Hardware Engineer in Advanced Technologies leads the next generation embedded technology hardware development for Trek’s future products. Embedded Hardware Engineer expertly selects appropriate sensors, RF components to creating an integrated system in a custom designed PCBs and drives development of IoT modules that serves as a part of riders’ connected experience.
- Work in an interdisciplinary R&D teams to distill technical tasks out of the end-user expectations. Define the concepts’ functional and design specifications.
- Lead proof-of-concept module developments by selecting circuit components and creating board layouts. Ensure that the proposed solution fits the embedded system’s spatial and communication requirements.
- For technical incubation projects, write project briefs, and propose design of experiments.
- Define system performance’s success and failure criteria and lead the development sprints to achieve the desired deliverable outcomes. Refine electrical component designs with scalability in mind while delivering features and performance.
- Work with IoT architect to map out the system architecture necessary to deploy the applications.
- Prepare BOM tables and work with sourcing team to prepare scaled production plans
- Work with Compliance Engineer to estimate cost and duration required for product certification based on component technologies
- Assist estimating the technical workload (volume and time) to define project timelines.
- Expert knowledge on mixed signal integrated circuit design and prototyping with microcontrollers (ARM, nRF52s preferred). Extensive experience with MEMS accelerometers.
- Demonstrated experience in designing PCB boards with tools such as Altium
- Experience with building prototypes with device protocols such as CANbus and messaging protocols such as MQTT
- Working knowledge of RF engineering and associated communication protocols Wifi, BLE, LoRA, and cellular
- Hands-on experience in display technologies testing and integration with AMOLED and E-ink would be valuable.
- Working knowledge of voice user interface and gesture-based interface components and SDK is highly desired
- Knowledge of machine learning, computer vision, and edge AI is highly desired
- Experience with C++, Python, or Matlab programming is highly desired
- Demonstrated knowledge of digital signal processing
- Fundamental understanding of IoT system architecture and unit deployment routines
- Experience in system design with FPGAs is a plus
- Proficiency with a CAD tool is a plus
- Demonstrated experience in managing budget and project schedule
- Risk assessment skills
Attributes of a successful candidate:
- A resilient and resourceful problem solver who emphasizes execution.
- A reliable teammate who brings humility and compassion to create a positive work environment.
- Ability to give effective and candid professional feedback in a respectful manner.
- Ability to formulate good hypotheses and estimate risks for big vision ideas.
- Practices a good documentation habit.
- Develops and exports talents.
- Bachelor/Master’s degree in electrical engineering, engineering physics, physics, or equivalent experiences
- 5+ years of industry experience as a hardware design engineer, or embedded system design engineer
- Domain knowledge in outdoor/fitness consumer product development is a plus
Flexible and fun company culture
Competitive health care
PPO & HDHP medical plan options, Dental insurance, Vision insurance
Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
Free life insurance & optional term life insurance
Competitive vacation package
401(k) with match and Employee Stock Ownership Plans (ESOP)
12 weeks of maternity leave with 100% pay
Flexible holiday schedule – 10 company holidays
Tuition Reimbursement up to $15,000! (Undergraduate & Masters programs)
Employee discounts on all product
Deep partner retail discounts