A bit about us
Trek is an awesome place to work, with amazing benefits for all employees. We build only products we love, provide incredible hospitality to our customers, and change the world by getting more people on bikes. When you’re on our team, you’re taken care of, encouraged to learn and grow, and given lots of opportunities to do so. Give us your best, and we’ll give it right back. Sound pretty sweet? Then come join us!
Position Summary/Job Description:
Trek’s Advanced Technologies is looking for an ambitious Data Scientist who is ready to unleash their technical creativity and add a new depth to Trek’s product development research. In this role, Data Scientist will work closely with all product categories to uncover physical science/engineering insights and consumer behavior insights. This role also delivers a major influence on the future data strategies for the product development team.
Data-strategy and product roadmap for product development team
- Work with Director of Advanced Technologies, Business Intelligence team, Data Ingestion team to refine the product development data vision. Identify additional value-add opportunities to enhance customer experience using data-centric products.
- Collaborate with IT infrastructure teams to refine ETL framework and create model deployment paths.
Product development research and product creation
- Use appropriate algorithms to construct models that transform data into actionable information for engineers, designers, product managers, and customers. Construct experiments and clearly document assumptions used in preprocessing data and procedures used for hyper-parameter tuning.
- Project topics can include:
- Multivariable regression on experiment/sensor data
- Analysis of user behavior data from financial records and marketing database
- Product recommender from user ride/product preference and locale specific ride environment data
- Edge AI
- Sentiment analysis (NLP) and/or from biometric sensors
- Maintenance service predictions
- Predictive analysis based on the international business’ trend analysis work.
- Product design space analysis based on ride handling and structural properties.
- Re-segmentation of parametric optimization data
- Computer vision
- Establish project parameters and curate appropriate algorithm/models for data explorations. Establish model performance monitoring methods and accuracy criteria according to business demands of projects.
- Provide tools to support category product development teams answer questions during their research. Assist interpreting data with visualization and verbal guidance.
- Collaborate with IoT architect, software engineers, and IT security team to clarify the use intent of data acquired through mobile app prototypes and internal data acquisition systems.
Technical subject leadership
- Lead data education (data manipulation, database, code sharing) among the product development teammates.
- Demonstrate leadership to transform the way Trek’s product development team leverage data for innovation work.
- Bachelor/Master’s degree in computer science or applied mathematics.
- 3+ years of industry experience in creating machine learning/deep learning models from large dataset. Having done projects with NLP and computer vision would be highly valuable.
- Domain knowledge in outdoor/fitness consumer product development is a plus.
- Technical skills:
- High proficiency in a programming language such as Python and Java.
- Extensive experience with software libraries that are commonly used for data science applications (Example: scikit learn, TensorFlow, TensorFlow Light).
- Extensive experience using common algorithm/methodologies for various machine learning applications. Mathematical understanding of the algorithm is highly desirable.
- Experience in model building + deployment using Databricks or Azure Databricks.
- Working knowledge of SQL.
- Basic knowledge of digital signal processing.
- Basic knowledge of system architecture.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft PowerBI is a plus.
- Experience in image/video data processing using OpenCV is a big plus.
- Attributes of a successful candidate:
- A resilient and resourceful problem solver who emphasizes execution.
- A reliable teammate who brings humility and compassion to create a positive work environment.
- Ability to give effective and candid professional feedback in a respectful manner.
- Ability to formulate good hypotheses and estimate risks for big vision ideas.
- Practices a good documentation habit.
- Develops and exports talents.
Remote work options available
Flexible and fun company culture
Competitive health care
PPO & HDHP medical plan options, Dental insurance, Vision insurance
Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
Free life insurance & optional term life insurance
Competitive vacation package
401(k) with match and Employee Stock Ownership Plans (ESOP)
12 weeks of maternity leave with 100% pay
Flexible holiday schedule – 10 company holidays
Tuition Reimbursement up to $15,000! (Undergraduate & Masters programs)
Employee discounts on all product
Deep partner retail discounts